[EM] Voting by selecting a published ordering

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri Apr 7 00:35:13 PDT 2006

Hey folks!

Brilliant idea in my opinion, too!

I suggest the following phases of implementation:

First phase: Don't change ballots, just tally according to the published
orderings, using whatever nice ranked-ballot method (preferably DMC for
its simplicity)

Second phase: Change the ballot so that voter can not only mark her
favourite but can also indicate some additional candidates as "also
approved". In this way, counting remains simple. For the tallying, the
individual voter's ranking is automatically constructed like this: X is
above Y if either X is approved but Y is not, or X is above Y in the
published ranking.

Third phase: Change the ballot further so that it alternatively allows
to specify a ranking (optionally with approval cutoff) directly.

Yours, Jobst