[EM] Re: Bucklin

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 22 19:50:42 PDT 2005

Kevin--

Yes, I prefer the ERBucklin(whole) that you described. I'd always assumed
that a candidate 2nd place would get a vote in the 2nd round. But I prefer
the verson that you described. How about this wording:

ERBucklin(whole):

Voters rank the candidates. Equal rankings and truncation are permitted.

The rankings give votes to their ranked candidates in successive rounds. If
there are N candidates ranked over a candidate on a ballot, then that
candidate gets a vote from that ballot in the (N+1)th round. When someone
gets a vote-total greater than half the number of voters, or when every
ballot has given a vote to all its candidates, the count ends and the winner
is the candidate with the most votes."

[end of suggested wording for ERBucklin(whole).

Anyway, thanks for mentioning that improved ERBucklin(whole). It apparently
_does_ meet FBC, and I like it better. And it surely is better than SR.

By the way I prefer Approval to SR too.

Mike Ossipoff