[EM] Definition of "sincere approval voting" (was FBC comparison: WV, margins, MMPO, DMC)

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Mon Sep 19 10:08:19 PDT 2005

Kevin,

>--- Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com> a écrit :
>

>>> This is my proposed clear definition:
>>> "An  'approval vote' is one that makes some approval distinction among
>>> the candidates. It is sincere if
>>> (1)the voter sincerely prefers all the approved candidates (or single
>>> candidate) to all the not approved candidates (or single candidate), and
>>> (2) it is how the voter would vote without any knowledge or guess as to
>>> how other voters might vote."
>>

>I have trouble with (2). We could assume that "how the voter would vote"
>means optimal, above-mean approval strategy. But obviously that is a
>problem for a definition of "sincerity." It would also make approval
>satisfy NZIS.

I  don't have a big problem with plain Approval satisfying NZIS.  Of
course Approval is promoted as a
method that invites voters to strategize.

>Otherwise we could choose to not define "how the voter would vote." But
>in that case nothing prevents a strategically unwise vote from being
>sincere, so that I don't see how DMC could satisfy NZIS.

If , by some absolute standard in the voter's mind, the voter sincerely
"approves" at least one but not all of the candidates
then  "sincere approval" is clearcut.  I suppose if this isn't the case
then  as you say if we leave undefined "how the voter
would vote"  there is still 0-info. approval strategy (so plain Approval
doesn't really meet NZIS).

>You would have
>to claim that DMC has no zero-info approval strategy.

It seems clear that DMC  has no zero-info. *ranking* strategy. (Is that
what you meant?)  But unless  we define  "sincere approval"
as  "optimal zero-information approval ('strategy')",  then  DMC
perhaps doesn't fully meet  NZIS.

Chris  Benham