[EM] Re: Condorcet's strategy problem

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sat Sep 17 17:36:24 PDT 2005

Hi Mike,

I should be really clear here if I haven't stated this already.  If I'm
only considering the final outcome (not looking at it with my electoral
reform strategist hat on), my range ballot for voting systems looks
something like this (scale of 0-5):

Condorcet methods*: 5
Range Voting, Approval Voting: 4
Plurality: 0

* I'll refer to Schulze(wv), Tideman(wv) et al as "Condorcet" for the
rest of this email for the sake of simplicity.

I think Range and Approval are both acceptable, even good, systems.  I
just don't think they're the best.  I also think that Range and Approval
have enough political liabilities that they are no more viable than
Condorcet methods.

One way to think of it as this: if someone gave me the ability to
dictatorally declare Range or Approval as the new system over the status
quo, I'd do it.  However, if instead I was put in charge of a foundation
with a budget of $250 million (i.e. large, but not infinite...Kerry
spent more and lost), I'd spend all of that money on a good Condorcet
method.  I think Condorcet methods are at least as politically viable as
Approval or Range, for reasons I describe below.  Given that I think
that Condorcet methods are superior, that's the tiebreaker in my mind.

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 04:52 +0000, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> [SFC, GSFC, Condorcet's Criterion, and Smith Criterion compliance is]
> why I suggest BeatpathWinner or CSSD for organizations and committees.
>
> But Condorcet has two problems with the public: 1) It doesn't have RV's
> familiarity and obviousness; and 2) It doesn't meet FBC, so you can't
> emphatically assure someone that they have absolutely no reason to vote
> someone over their favorite

Range Voting is more mechanically obvious than Condorcet.  However, it's
not morally more obvious.  The moral justification is bound up in the
abstract concept of "utility", which is very difficult to measure fairly
in aggregate.  My understanding of the argument made to Condorcet
advocates is that Range has a much higher probability of picking the
Condorcet winner than other methods of equal simplicity (e.g. Cumulative
voting, Plurality, Borda).  However, it's difficult to explain the moral
appeal of Range without explaining Condorcet.

Other downsides of Range are:
1.  It only tends to pick the Condorcet winner.  Since Condorcet systems
pick the Condorcet winner by design, that makes them naturally more
appealing by that logic. If you get people bought into the utility of
picking the Condorcet winner, you'll be over halfway to convincing
people to use a Condorcet system.

2.  Range voting is particularly vulnerable to criticism of violating
"one person, one vote".  Granted, everyone has the same opportunity, so
personally, I don't put that much weight into the argument, but I have
to concede that some votes influence the vote total more than others.
In cases where the Range winner isn't the Condorcet winner (where a
Condorcet winner exists), it's really difficult to make the case that
one person, one vote hasn't been violated.

3.  If you try to explain why Range is superior to current plurality
systems without explaining Condorcet, you're going to have a hard time
explaining why it's superior to Cumulative voting.  Cumulative voting is
much easier to justify in terms of "one person, one vote", and the
benefits of Range voting over Cumulative voting aren't obvious getting
very deep into the mathematics of voting (and getting you back to
criticism #1).  The downside is that Cumulative voting is barely an
improvement over Plurality.  Worse, I'm afraid that we could be 90% of
the way to getting Range implemented, and have some well-meaning but
sadly mistaken politician make a last minute "tweak" to the system
unwittingly turning it into Cumulative voting.

I didn't just pull the Cumulative voting idea out of thin air.  I was
trying to explain Range to my wife (whose only expertise on this is by
unwilling osmosis), and explain the one person, one vote problem.  She
countered with "well, why don't you just limit the total number of
points each person gets to vote?".  I think that in the face of heated
political opposition to Range, this will be a common reaction.  So, I'm
countering your sample of one with my own sample of one.  ;-)

4.  Strategically speaking, it's not simple to explain what the optimal
strategy is.  There's an interesting conversation occuring on Wikipedia
which indicates that Range strategy isn't the same as Approval:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Range_voting#My_Sep_12_edit

The implication from the simulation that Boris Alexeev posted is that,
given a utility "u" ranging 0-1, and a range "r" ranging 0-1 (where
fractional votes are acceptable) you should vote r=u^2.  Of course, it's
very dangerous to come up with a formula based on just this example, and
probably doesn't hold when negative utilities are involved, but it's
interesting food for thought.

> [Rob:]
>
> [Voting sincerely is] certainly not nearly as risky to
> vote sincerely for your favorite in Schulze(wv) than it is in Plurality.
>
> [Mike replies:]
>
> Yes, that's for sure. The threat that that will let the greater-evil win
> isn't as great when it only happens in rare examples. Surely there will be
> many who won't be compelled by that threat. And equally surely there will be
> some who will be. No one can say how many. Maybe  what I've observed of LO2E
> progressive Condorcet voting would actually be rare, and has unduly scared
> me. Who knows? But one can only go by what one has observed.

I think you should attempt to make more observations before entirely
discounting Condorcet methods for public elections.

> Good enough, and maybe many others would feel that way. But what's wrong
> with the FBC-complying rank methods? ...Aside from the fact that no rank
> method has RV's familiarity or simplicity?

My understanding is that FBC is mutually exclusive of the Condorcet
winner criteria.  As I've stated above, when Condorcet winner is
violated, there's a good chance that one person, one vote has been
violated.

Example:  Range vote of 0-5 (integers only).  1000 voters, 2 candidate
(A and B)

800 votes: