[EM] Re: Condorcet's strategy problem

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Sep 14 05:02:00 PDT 2005

Rob,

--- Rob Lanphier <robla at robla.net> a écrit :
> Agreed...we're all extrapolating on what we'd do personally.  So far, I
> haven't seen a scenario that convinces me I'd make favorite betrayal a
> routine in my voting patterns.  Of course, I've been known to "throw
> away" my vote in the past, so what do I know.

I suspect that you have a better understanding of the used election
method than most voters.

If I'm a voter, and I care about the result, but I don't know what method
we're using, I wouldn't rank my more obscure favorite candidates, except
probably above the worse frontrunner. And I would advise voters like me (with
the same compromise choice) to do the same.

The compromise candidates are going to be giving advice to their supporters.
You don't want them to have a heart attack over the possibility that minor
candidate support could sink them unnecessarily. We'll get "how to vote"
cards issued even under Condorcet.

Rank methods have been devised (e.g. by Woodall) which are no better than
plurality when you let an obscure favorite candidate share the top spot.

Kevin Venzke