[EM] FBC comparison: WV, margins, MMPO, DMC

Adam Tarr ahtarr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 08:24:29 PDT 2005

On 9/10/05, Jobst Heitzig <heitzig-j at web.de> wrote:

We could discuss whether insincere equal ranking for top is more dishonest
> or whether approving one more candidate is more dishonest...

Ah, ok, I should have read the second before responding to the first. You're
a step ahead of me. ;)

As I said, the two approaches are very hard to compare. In some sense,
insincere equal rankings is a dishonest RELATIVE opinion, while insincere
approval is a dishonest ABSOLUTE opinion. If you vote on a rated ballot
which has an implicit approval cutoff, then the two are more directly
comparable. Then again, some voters will place more psychological stock in
absolute position on a rated ballot than others will.

I think we both agree that they are less extreme than reversing rankings of
two candidates. This is trivially obvious when comparing to dishonest
equal-ranking.

In the end this is an interesting psychological question, but a hard one to
come up with any solid conclusions about.