[EM] Citation for immunity to strategic voting?

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 09:28:26 PDT 2005

On Sep 5, 2005, at 23:13, James Green-Armytage wrote:

> Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> The method consists of two rounds. If the first round produces a
>> Condorcet winner, the second round is not needed. Otherwise the second
>> round will be held and also the tie breaking method is used if there
>> is
>> a top cycle. (Clearly non-winning candidates could be excluded from
>> the
>> second round but I won't discuss those rules further here.)
>
> I brought this up in late May of 2004. As I recall, the idea didn't
> meet
> with much support. I agree that runoffs are expensive and ideally
> shouldn't be necessary, but there may be situations where the benefits
> outweigh the costs. Once I designed cardinal pairwise, which seems to
> have
> fairly strong anti-strategic properties with a single round, I stopped
> talking about the two round system. Still, perhaps the idea should be
> kept
> afloat to some degree, e.g. given a name and an electowiki page. I also
> proposed a procedure in December 2003 which is similar but with no
> fixed
> limit on the number of rounds... I consider this one to be excellent
> in a
> small group scenario, but impractical when the number of voters is very
> large.
>
> my best,
> James
>
> references:
> http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
> 2003-December/011393.html
> http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
> 2004-May/date.html
> http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/vm/antistratsum.htm

Yes, I think the idea of two round of multiple round Condorcet should
be kept floating. The burden of additional rounds may not be a problem
in some settings. (If multiple rounds are not wanted, then just skip
this method proposal.) Another reason for keeping multiple round
Condorcet methods alive is educational. I think they nicely point out
some essential characteristics (strategy free vs. "strategical" parts)
of Condorcet methods. Yet another way of using multiple Condorcet
rounds is to use them as opinion polls. If some (not necessarily even a
small) group has access to quick computerised voting, it is no problem
to check every few minutes how people feel about certain
questions/options (it is also possible to have even a continuous
real-time opinion poll that displays the changes whenever someone
updates his/her previous ratings (some privacy protection can be added
if needed)). And when the timing seems to be right (=Condorcet winner
visible), the chairman can propose to make a decision.

BR, Juho