[EM] Bucklin

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 21 21:57:23 PDT 2005

Sure, I'd have to agree that ERBucklin(whole), matching SR in its FBC
compliance,  is better than SR, which, so far as I know, offers nothing but
FBC.

But MDDA is better than Bucklin.

Bucklin has the advantage of a easier handcount than the pairwise-count
methods, for organizations or communities that only do handcounts.

In ERBucklin(whole), if you raise Favorite from 2nd place up to 1st place
where Compromise is, doesn't that mean that your vote filters down to your
old 3rd place candidate sooner? Maybe soon enough to let him get a majority
before Favorite or Compromise does? Maybe Favorite or Compromise otherwise
would have gotten the first majoritiy.

So that makes it sound as if ERBucklin(whole) can fail FBC. I haven't
thoroughly checked that scenario out, and it could be incorrect.

If, as that suggests, Bucklin doesn't meet FBC, then I retract my statement
that ERBucklin(whole) is better than SR for public elections.

Mike Ossipoff