[EM] RE: [Condorcet] Favorite Betrayal in DMC

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Sep 19 13:41:11 PDT 2005

Note that in the following list of conditions for Favorite Betrayal incentive, I did not distinguish between Strong FBC and Weak FBC, since the conditions are almost identical when voting under DMC.

The only difference is in condition (4).

If neither approving Compromise (as in 4 below), nor ranking Compromise equal with Favorite is enough to stop Favorite from doubly defeating compromise, then (in the presence of the other six conditions) we're talking about a violation of both weak and strong FBC, otherwise only a violation of Strong FBC.

Because of this, it seems to me that the gap between weak and strong FBC is smaller in DMC than it is in Shulze(wv).  Shulze(wv) might even do slightly better than DMC with regard to weak FBC, but I believe that DMC does better with respect to strong FBC, which is what voters really care about the most.