[EM] Re: DMC strategy (correction)

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Fri Sep 16 13:16:45 PDT 2005

Here's the corrected strategy for the case where you have enough polling information to discern the Smith set:

First identify (with the letter  C) your favorite member of the Smith set (or, if possible, the uncovered set).
Put your approval cutoff just above the best Smith (or uncovered) candidate X that you think can beat C pairwise.

Approving non-Smith candidates has no influence on the outcome, so you can safely raise your approval cutoff up to just below the lowest Smith candidate Y above X if you don't actually like any of the candidates between X and Y.

It was this candidate Y that I was trying to describe in my previous (uncorrected) DMC strategy posting.

Forest