[EM] alternative Smith?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon Oct 31 20:52:19 PST 2005

Chris Benham writes:
>Probably a good  Condorcet method is "MDD,Smith,IRV".
>"Unless all the candidates have majority-strength defeats, disqualify
>from winning all those that do.
>Also disqualify from winning candidates who are not members of the Smith
>set.

	I'm with you so far...

>Elect the undisqualified candidate that is highest-ordered by  IRV on
>the original ballots."

	You lost me right there. I think that you tried to explain this to me
earlier, but I had trouble with it, and if I came to understand it then,
that understanding has been lost.
	If we want to make a variant of alternative Smith that is more
truncation-safe, how about "eliminate the plurality loser until only one
candidate remains in the 'inner Smith set' "?

	Defining "inner Smith set": (A subset of the Smith set, but not
necessarily a strict subset.) If one or more members of the Smith set are
not pairwise beaten by any majority, they form the inner Smith set.
Otherwise, it is identical to the Smith set.
	I imagine that this definition is identical to something that has been
posted previously, but I don't know what the name is. If anyone has time,
it might be good to post these things on the electowiki.

my best,
James

P.S. By the way, "alternative Smith" is kind of a strange name. Any
suggestions for a better one?