[EM] replies to Lomax re voting strategically and DH3 pathology that results

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Oct 23 19:27:36 PDT 2005

At 03:13 PM 10/23/2005, Warren Smith wrote:
>Here is the Lomax quote:
>
>By the way, wouldn't Range have produced similar results with similar
>selfish exaggeration?

Conscious strategic voting with ranked Condorcet ballots depends on a
belief that Condorcet cycles can be created or broken through
insincere voting. I find it unlikely that such a belief would be
common enough to seriously affect elections. Without that belief,
there would be no motive to insincerely rank an undesired candidate
above an acceptable one.

DH3 is a fantasy that Mr. Smith believes is a proven fact, based on a
single personal experience with a Borda election under bizarre
circumstances (as he relates on one of his web pages), and another
Borda situation where a dark horse was "almost elected."

If a method requires ranking of all candidates, however, DH3 is a
real possibility, I would think, particularly where there are only a
few significant candidates, if voters are required to (or, perhaps,
are given an opportunity to) rank all candidates. This is because
supporters of one major candidate may artificially reduce the ranking
of another major candidate out of partisan fervor, which is quite a
distinct phenomenon from what we normally think of as strategic voting.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Range is
vulnerable to this second kind of "insincere voting." The word
"insincere" is problematic, because such voters might be "sincere" in
their rankings, but what I mean by it is that, if faced with real
pairwise elections, they would vote differently than their rankings
in the full election would indicate.

The Range equivalent of this would be for a leading candidate voter
to vote 0 for another leading candidate, and then a more realistic
rating for a dark horse. If enough major candidate voters do that,
the dark horse could win.

> >  also point out that another example was the world's only Borda
> > government (Kiribati)
> >where again such phenomena were immediately observed.
>
>Borda is particularly vulnerable to this problem, but I would think
>Range would be as well. But what do I know? Not much....
>
> >--As far as "horribly common" by that I meant (as I described on
> the DH3 page
> >    http://math.temple.edu/~wds/crv/DH3.html )
> >that DH3 occurs whenever there are 3 comparable rival good
> >candidates and a bad one.
>
>The theory here is that voters will rank the bad candidate higher
>than the rival good candidates. And the bad outcomes seen are proof
>that the strategy sucks.
>
>What is needed in a democracy is for voters to *trust* democratic
>process by voting sincerely. If enough voters try to distort the
>system by strategic voting, in order to gain a very short-sighted,
>narrow, and immediate purpose, any system which depends on sincere
>ratings or rankings is going to be in trouble.
>
>[end of Lomax quote]
>
>OK, first of all, NO, range would NOT
>have produced similar results with similar
>selfish exaggeration, and is immune to DH3.

Where is the proof of this?

Consider this election, classic DH3:

fully considered and sincere votes:
30: A>B>C>D