[EM] Dave: More levels of expressable preference

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Oct 22 00:38:34 PDT 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:11:05 +0000 MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> You'd said:
>
>> Can happen that I desire electing Tom and hate Harry. Further, I am
>> not sure Tom can win so, in case he loses (and only if he loses), I
>> want to do what I can to make sure Dick gets in as my second choice.
>

> You add:
>
> Let me expand on this.  There is a race for mayor in a city near here, the
> "aroma" is unavoidable and, therefore, if I got to vote, my primary goal
> would be that Harry lose (and I do not trust the polls, for I suspect they
> work for Harry):
>
>      Assume Tom and Dick are equal in my eyes.  Therefore I would be
> happy with Approval and any flavor of Condorcet that permitted =.  IRV is
> not too bad
>
> I reply:
>
> As proposed and used, IRV is no good. Unless you know which of {Tom,
> Dick} is the more winnable one you need to beat Harry, then you have to
> risk his getting eliminated immediately before your traveling vote gets
> to him. Of course if {Tom, Dick} is a mutual majority, then IRV would
> work ok in that particular instance. But, in general, mutual majorities
> are a fortuitous special case.

INTERESTING:
      You write that IRV is "no good" because it cannot give equal ranks.
      Yet you demand that I accept Approval even though I object to its
inability to give unequal ranks.

> You continue:
>
>      Or one of my two favorites earns a black eye - not enough to become
> a reject like Harry, but enough that I must do all I van to help ny
> remaining favorite.  Now IRV (except for spoilers) and Condorcet are
> fine, Approval imposes an intolerable decision.
>
> I reply:
>
> No it doesn't. Is Dick acceptable or unacceptable? Vot for him if he's
> acceptable. Don't vote for him if he's unacceptable. Yes, if Dick is
> genuinely on the line between acceptability and unacceptability, then
> you have to flip a coin in Approval (or give Dick 1/2 maximum points in RV).

Right back to our Approval disagreement.

Not having trustable polls, LIKING Tom and HATING Harry, I want Dick only
in case I cannot have Tom - and want Dick if the only available
alternative is Harry.

> In any case, you know what to do.

Yes - curse whoever inflicted Approval on me when they should have known
better.

> If you know what you're doing, Approval is still ok, though not as
> deluxe as one might like.
>
> The serious problem happens when people don't know what they're doing,
> when they're seriously mistaken about whether Dick is acceptable. Then
> they can't be trusted to be able to use Approval in their own best
> interest, and MDDA would be a much better thing to have. You'll get no
> disagreement from me on that.
>
> You continued:
>
>      Or my falling favorite joins Harry for being unacceptable.  Now any
> method that tolerates bullet voting becomes acceptable, including
> Plurality and Approval.
>
> I reply:
>
> I agree.  Most any method is acceptable then, except for Borda, which in
> its standard form, forces you to rank all the candidates.

I read elsewhere that Borda does not have this problem.

> Ranking all the candidates in IRV may be a waste of time, but of course
> it doesn't do any harm for the law to require completel rankings, other
> than more time in the voting booth.

If my intent was bullet voting, I would choke if a variety of IRV which
forbid truncation was inflicted on me.

> You continue:
>
> Thus Approval beats Plurality, but is not an acceptable destination.
>
> Approval beats anything that doesn't meet FBC, for the purpose of our
> public political elections.
>
> In an early posting I said:
>
> "I liken Approval to a solid, reliable handtool. But the trouble with a
> handtool, compared to an automatic CW-finding machine like MDDA, is that
> you have to know how to use the handtool, because it's manual. You have
> to do it yourself.

Having a variety of handtools in a toolbox, that I can select from as
desired, is GREAT.

Trouble is, I have not heard of anyone offering a choice of methods, such
that I could select as I entered the voting booth.

> " [for our existing electorate] The question of using MDDA vs using
> Approval (or RV) is like the question of driving your child to school vs
> giving the car-keys to your child and saying 'Drive yourself to school.
> We'll find out how you do'."
>
>> You quoted me:
>

>> But if Dick is unacceptable, then no, I won't give him an Approval
>> vote, even if he is better than Harry.
>

> You reply:
>
> You seem to consider existence of yellow to be an impossibility after
> labeling red "unacceptable" and green "acceptable".
>
> I reply:
>
> No, it depends on the candidate lineup. If there are any completely
> unacceptable candidates who might win, then it's what I call an
> acceptable/unacceptable situation. There are effectively only two
> preference levels. There is only one merit boundary that matters.
>
> And yes, I believe that we have an a/ua situation in our public
> political elections. In fact the giveway progressives believe that too,
> though they disagree with me about who is acceptable. They think the
> Democrats are acceptable. Hence the serious problem with Approval
> (Unless the giveaway progressives will be able to stop voting for
> Democrats when, in Approval, Nader outpolls the Republican.
>
> Another way to describe an a/ua situation is: The candidates can be
> divided into two sets such that the merit differences within the 2 sets
> are negligible compared to the merit-difference betweent the 2 sets.
>
> In Approval, vote for the acceptables. Approval is the perfect method in
> an a/ua situation, if voters know what they're doing.

These paragraphs brag about Approval's ability to recognize red and green
- pretending that its inability to recognize yellow does not matter.

> In Plurality, vote for whichever acceptable candidate is most likely,
> with your help, to be able to deny victory to the unacceptables.
>
> I reply:
>
> MANY of us can see more than two colors, and want ballots to comply
> since it is possible.
>
> I reply:
>
> What country do you live in? It's entirely possible that, there, it
> isn't an a/ua situation.

I presented a current example from a city in New York State near where I
live.  Such trios of candidates can happen most any place that allows
voting among more than two candidates.  That example is a general
election, but such trios might be more common in primary elections.

> Anyway, even if it is, of course I agree that, because voters don't seem
> very quiified to vote in their own interest,  we'd be much better off
> with MDDA, MDDB, or MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole) than with Approval. As I said,
> you'll get no disagreement from me on that.

Voter education may always be a problem - a reason for keeping the method
simple BUT able to serve major desires.

> I'd said:
>
>> I can't expect Plurality advocates to like the better voting systems.
>>
>> But if you're saying that they'd have an especially difficult time
>> with Approval, then I disagree. Approval is just Plurality done right.
>> Plurality without the completely unjustified rule that a voter may
>> only give a point to one candidate, only show support for one candidate.

Let's forget this exchange - does not exactly match my thinking, but not
worth sorting out.

> [...]
>
> So if someone then began advocating MDDA, people would understand the
> need for it, if Approval obviously was not working (because people
> weren't qualified to use it).
>
> I'd said:
>
>> I observed someone, voting in a Condorcet poll, rank Dick over Tom,
>> even though that person preferred Tom to Dick. That peron did that
>> because they felt that Dick had a better chance of beating Harry.
>>
>> Did I tell that person that they had no need to do that in Condorclet?
>> No, because that would have been an untrue statement. Condorcet
>> doesn't guarantee that you won't gain by voting someone over your
>> favorite. Approval does make that guarantee, known as FBC.
>

> BUT - Approval does not let me vote Tom preferred to Dick, and BOTH
> preferred to Harry.
>
> I reply:
>
> No, but at least it doesn't make anyone feel a need to vote Dick _over_
> Tom. Thereby, Approval avoids the worst kind of strategy need.
>
> You continue:
>
> Tell me again how voters can improve their odds by voting against their
> desires - at least other than responding to or cooperating with strategy
> plots.
>
> You want an example? Ok, here's the scenario. I'll show that Condorcet's
> Criterion is incompatible with FBC.
>
> You can also regard this as a descrption of how Condorcet's method, in
> any form, can reward someone for voting someone over their favorite:
>
> Consider two voters whose preference ordering is: B>A>C.
>
> We're considering how those two people should vote when everyone else is
> voting in some particular fixed configuration. Say the configuration of
> other people's votes (sincere or otherwise) is such that if those two
> voters vote sincerely, we'll get a circular tie in which C wins.
> Obviously, given any rule for solving circular ties, I could write an
> example in which C would win.
>
> Say that, in that cycle, B beats A. But B doesn't beat A by very much. B
> beats A by only 3 votes.
>
> If A beat B, A would be the BeatsAll winnner, and would win, because
> we're assuming that the method meets Condorcet's Criterion.
>
> Those two voters could obviously change the pairwise result between A
> and B if they voted differently. Let's say that no other pairwise race
> is close enough for those two voters to influence the outcome of. That's
> a reasonable assumption.
>
> If those two voters changed their ballot to A=B>C, then B would only
> beat A by one vote instead of three votes. I could write an example in
> which C still wins, whether B beats A by 3 votes or 1 vote. Say it's so.
>
> If those two voters changed their ballot to A>B>C, that would reverse
> that pairwise defeat, and A would be BeatsAll winner, and would win. As
> I said, that's because we're assuming that the method in use is one that
> meets Condorcet's Criterion.
>
> By voting A over their favorite, those two voters have improved the

Thanks.

Hard to complain about getting EXACTLY what you ask for, even if it is not
exactly what you desire.

Also true that, with this cycle, changing A>B>C to B>A>C would switch
winner from A to C.

Problem has to be set up precisely, in or near a cycle, and hard to
predict whether such wins or loses.

> Therefore the method violates FBC. Since the method could be any
> Condorcet Criterion method, all Condorcet Criterion methods fail FBC.
>
> Condorcet's Criterion is incompatible with FBC.
>
>> But, though it isn't insincere [to vote equally in Approval two
>> candidates between whom you have a preference] , it is contrary to the
>> voter's interest if s/he unnecessarily votes for someone who isn't
>> really any better than the person s/he is trying to beat.
>

> You replied:
>
> If he rated Kerry as ugly as Bush he would have no problem, even with
> Plurality.
>
> I reply:
>
> Agreed of course.
>
> You continued:
>
> My topic here was that to SAY I liked Kerry better than Bush, under
> Approval I had to SAY I liked him as well as Nader.
>
> I reply:
>
> Now you've put your finger on the problem: The problem is if you think
> that you need to say that you like Kerry better than Bush. That's why
> I'd much rather have MDDA, MDDB, or MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole) instead of
> Approval. We're agreed on that. With those good rank methods you can
> vote Bad over Worse without voting Bad equal to Best. Believe me, for
> the sake of the country and the world,  I want you to have a good rank
> method.
>
>> I'd said:
>>

>>> Of course hopefully they wouldn't keep doing that in Approval, when
>>> Nader outpolls the Republican, or when they find out what a Democrat is.
>>>

> You reply:
>
> This is a distraction, for we often have lists of candidates where best,
> tolerable, and ugly compete.
>
> I reply:
>
> So what? If you know that Best has just outpolled Ugliest, then you
> should know that now you no longer have to vote for Ugly.
>
> Or if you finally ask yourself why you want to vote for an Ugly, and
> decide that you don't want to, that would solve the problem too. You
> aren't going to vote for one of the two uglies again in 2008, are you?
>
> You continued:
>
> Further, we often do not have usable popularity ratings.
>
> I reply:
>
> That's for sure. We have continuous, consistant and insistant propaganda
> telling people that they have only two "viable" choices. And when people
> believe it, if appears self-fulfilling, since the vote totals indeed
> seem to confirm the propaganda.
>
> That's a property of Plurality. Any FBC-failing method can have that
> problem too, under the same conditions.

Huh!  Bad popularity ratings can afflict elections regardless of election method.

> [...]
>
> But those finer merit distinctions are unimportant if there is a set of
> candidates who are completely unacceptable and who could win. Then,
> whatever the method, a/ua strategy should be used. That strategy is
> simpler in Approval than in any other method. The trouble is that we
> don't all agree on what is acceptable. For that reason I'd much rather
> have a MDDA, MDDB, or MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole) instead of Approval.
>
> So yes,  a good rank-balloting method is a nice luxury. But when voters
> are all confused about what is acceptable, or when voters are thoroughly
> led-by-the-nose regarding who is viable, who is a serious candidate,
> and whose policies are closer to what the public wants; and if they're
> going to ignore it when Approval's vote totals indicate that
> giveaway-strategy is no longer needed--then yes, a good rank method is a
> necessity rather than a luxury.
>
> We don't disagree on that.
>
>> However, though N>K is their sincere preference, they could regret
>> voting N>K if it resulted in victory for B, who would have lost if
>> they'd voted K=N>B. My point was that MDDA isn't going to make people
>> afraid to vote their sincere preferences.
>

> You reply:
>
> Agreed that after counting the ballots we can often picture a different
> outcome with a different vote.
>
> I reply:
>
> How true it is! But that isn't the problem. The problem is that, when a
> voter perceives an a/ua situation, that voter will use whatever strategy
> it takes to minimize the probability that an unacceptable will win.
> Burying one's favorite by voting Kerry, and all the Democrats, over
> one's favorite is the correct a/ua strategy if you think the Democrats
> are acceptable. That's why I want a method that meets FBC.
>
> If we don't agree on what is acceptable, then there's going to be a  lot
> of disagreement on how to vote, especially when the voting system
> doesn't meet FBC. It's much worse when the method doesn't meet FBC.
>

> Assuming liking N>K and
>     Voting N>K gave a worse result than N=K,
>     Who makes a guarantee that a different collection of ballots could
> not have awarded the win to Bush for voting N=K?
>
> I reply:
>
> It would be very rare for your vote to have any effect on the outcome.
> Therefore, most likely your voting N=K isn't going to help Kerry, as
> compared to voting N>K. But the probability is beside the point. The
> fact is that, in methods that don't meet FBC, you have a better chance
> of helping Kerry beat Bush if you insincerely move Kerry up to 1st
> place, voting only Kerry in 1st place. In an a/ua situation, if you
> think Kerry is acceptable and Bush is unacceptable, then you will
> insincerely vote Kerry in 1st place, over Nader.
>
> MDDA is much simpler than Condorcet, and is even simpler and more
> briefly-defined than IRV. And MDDA meets FBC, SFC, and SDSC. There's no
> need to accept any less in a rank method.

I do not have time to respond to this tonight.

> Mike Ossipoff

                  If you want peace, work for justice.