[EM] Dave: More levels of expressable preference

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Fri Oct 21 13:28:23 PDT 2005

Mike Ossippoff wrote: (see below for full text)

 I reply:

I agree.  Most any method is acceptable then, except for Borda, which in its

standard form, forces you to rank all the candidates.
----

This is not an accurate description of what Count de Borda wrote. In its
"standard form" Borda says "a candidate gets a point for every candidate
ranked lower than the candidate." Unranked candidates are clearly ranked
lower, so in a "pure" Borda" there is no requirement to rank all candidates.

Mike may be mixing some IMPLEMENTATIONS of Borda-style methods, but the
Borda METHOD does NOT "force you to rank all the candidates."

---
Mike continues:

Ranking all the candidates in IRV may be a waste of time, but of course it
doesn't do any harm for the law to require completel rankings, other than
more time in the voting booth.
---

I cannot accept this as either a voter or an em analyst. It does GREAT harm
to require to people to express preferences about candidates about which
they know nothing. Those of us who spend a great deal of time and effort
deciding how to order the candidates with which have some familarity will do
no better than providing a random order for those in the complement of that
set.

A method that depends upon "pairwise wins" or "pairwise defeats" could cause
those of us who ranked randomly for the ones we DON'T want to cause one of
those to win over someone we voted for because we didn't understand that we
had to spend as much time working out the intracacies of the voting method.

Philosophically, basing an election result on the votes of people who were
ignorant of the ramifications of their rankings cannot be said under any
circumstances to "do no harm." Much the reverse - this is one of the worst
things that could happen to us.