[EM] Steph: your rating method

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:16:42 PDT 2005

Forest--

You wrote:

The candidate with the maximum median rating is the ER Bucklin (whole)
winner, assuming that if two candidates have the same median rating R > 0,
then the one at or above R on the most ballots is the winner.

I reply:

Well that certainly answers my question, when I asked what properties that
method would have!

It would have some very valuable properties. It sounds like a remarkably
brief way to define ERBucklin(whole).

You continued:

Ratings are a convenient way of providing for equal rankings and keeping the
ballots from becoming too unwieldy when there are large numbers of
candidates, as in a big election without primaries.

I reply:

But how is ratings more convenient than rankings? As long as the voters
understand that they can give the same rank number to as many as they want
to, and that rank numbers needn't be consecutive?

Because it's a rank method, wouldn't that be the simple and direct form of
balloting for it? Wouldn't a ballot presented as a ratings ballot confuse
people?

Mike Ossipoff