[EM] Steph: Your rating method

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Oct 20 17:37:30 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:25:36 -0700 Simmons, Forest wrote:

> The candidate with the maximum median rating is the ER Bucklin (whole) winner, assuming that if two candidates have the same median rating R > 0, then the one at or above R on the most ballots is the winner.

Do you have to go back and look at the ballots after deciding on value of
R?  Gets messy with many ballots such as for governor.

> Ratings are a convenient way of providing for equal rankings and keeping the ballots from becoming too unwieldy when there are large numbers of candidates, as in a big election without primaries.

Conceding I do not like ratings, I question this statement.

Agreed IRV does not permit =

However, Condorcet can, provided that is provided in the method definition.

> Forest

                  If you want peace, work for justice.