[EM] MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:14:08 PDT 2005

MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole) has the benefits of MDDA, but adds more. In
particular, it adds Mutual Majority Criterion compliance. That means that
the method has majority-enforcement by MMC in addition to SFC.

Majority enforcement by criteria like SFC &/or MMC is what makes it safe to
rank as many candidates as you want to, to safely overshoot the CW, if it's
uncertain which candidate is the CW. Majority-enforcement is what makes the
best rank methods virtuallly free of strategy concern.

It makes it possible to say that the strategy is to rank as many candidates
as you want to, as long as you rank at least down to the CW.

I'm not saying that SFC isn't enough. But, if we're looking for the best
method for the conditions and electorate that we have now, without regard to
proposability, then MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole) looks like the best.

Simplicity is so important in the United States that I'd probably stick with
the simpler MDDA. I don't think its SFC compliance would fail to enforce
majority pairwise votes unless there's a majority-strength circular tie.

MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole) is better, more deluxe, with more majority
protections. Maybe the fact that Bucklin is already well-known would make
that method proposable, especially if first introduced in cities that have
used Bucklin. If it can win then I'm all for proposing MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole)
  instead of MDDA.

Mike Ossipoff