[EM] Warren: MDDA, FBC, Approval, RV

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Tue Oct 11 22:25:59 PDT 2005

Mike,

> Add top or Mono Add Top sounds like a Woodall re-naming of one of the
> criteria related to Participation. I call those "adverse results
> criteria". So far as I know, all rank methods other than Borda (and
> maybe a few of its close relatives) fail Particiption.

Mono-add-top is on a list that Woodall refers to as  "monotonicity"
properties/criteria, that includes Participation.

Mono-add-top just says that a candidate can never be harmed by adding
some extra ballots that have that candidate ranked top.

Obviously it is Participation-like and is implied by Participation, but
it is much weaker  (and is comparatively a bit arbitrary).

Examples of  methods that meet Mono-add-top but not Participation are
IRV  and  MinMax.

Chris Benham