[EM] error by me re MDDA / new voting method

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Thu Oct 13 16:47:09 PDT 2005

I erroneously said that MDDA was (if all canddts approved by all)
just the "Smith set."

That was false.  The first rule of MDDA is
1. A candidate is disqualified if another candidate is ranked over him/her
by a majority of the voters.
   (Unless that rule would disqualify all the candidates, in which case no
one is disqualified.)

This is NOT a reduction to the Smith set, but rather, a reduction to the Condorcet
Winner or all candidates.  Aside from that, what I said before goes,
and this is still bad (in fact arguably worse than a reduction to the  Smith
set) in the sense that it often leads to a lot of ties.

So now we could discuss/invent yet another voting method, which is:

step 1.  reduce to Smith set.
step 2. the most-approved of the remaining candidates wins.

(The "Smith set" is the candidates S such that each candidate in S is pairwise
winner over each candidate not in S.  Different Smith - not me.)

Well - is this a better or worse voting method than the original MDDA?
Plausibly better...
(By the way I am carelessly saying "MDDA" when I mean "deluxe MDDA")
wds