[EM] sincerity in range votes / and fantasies

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Oct 6 08:11:13 PDT 2005

At 04:26 PM 10/4/2005, Warren Smith wrote:
>we did a range voting poll in 2004 - discussed
>in   http://math.temple.edu/~wds/crv/PsEl04.html
>and found that MOST votes were non-strategic.

In a *poll*, Mr. Smith. People may very well vote differently if, as
you have been fond of pointing out, they are going to be executed or
exiled if the wrong candidate wins the election.... and perhaps with
much less incentive than that.

>[...]

>I also point out that Robla on a previous occasion agreed that RV
>was a good system
>and, if I recall correctly said he would be "dancing in the streets" were it
>enacted.   However, yesterday he said he could "never support it"
>in view of its "glaring defects."

Perhaps his original indication of pleasure would be because the
status quo is *worse*. If the public were accustomed to better voting
methods, they would *never* support the standard methods. Mr.
Lanphier, I presume, was simply pointing out an apparent defect in
the system, one that appears plausible at first sight, and which must
be clearly addressed if Range is to see actual implementation.

>      This behavior seems compatible
>with the theory that he is "on drugs"...   but probably it is simply a mater
>of robla's priorities getting a little skewed by a little too much exposure to
>the EM nerdworld, and after some reconsideration perhaps he will regain his
>senses.

I think you have made your point, and I think I might also have done
something similar. Beyond that, casting aspersions on Mr. Lanphier's
sanity or intelligence simply because he states something with which
you disagree, legitimately or otherwise, might be appropriate among
techie undergraduates -- at least this is the way we talked to each
other at Cal Tech -- but I'd think you'd have left that behind quite
a while ago.

And if you hope to help lead a movement that brings in broad support,
you might consider what, if anything, you might be doing that drives
people away. Certainly I need to look at myself similarly.