[EM] Warren: WMDDA comments

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 17:41:39 PDT 2005

Warren--

You said that WMDDA isn't Smith//Approval, because the approvals are
expressed in the rankings. But it's still Approval, regardless of how the
Approvals are expressed. It could be on a separate Approvsal section of the
ballot. It could be by an Approval cutoff in the rankings. And it could be
by a rule that all the candidates you rank are counted as approved by you.

You start by disqualifying the candidates who aren't in the Smith set. Say
there's a one-candidate Smith set, a CW. The CW must win. Your method meets
Condorclet's Criterion. Kevin demonstrated that Condorcet's Criterion is
incompatible with FBC. Smith//Approval fails FBC.

Here's an example in which Smith//Approval fails SFC:

Sincere rankings:

40: ABC
25: BAC
35: CBA

Ballots:

40: A  (approving only)
25: BA (approving B and A)
35: CB (Approving C and B)

These approvals could be like that because of a rule that (only) all ranked
candidates are approved, or it could be that people place their approval
cutoffs in that way.

B beats A beats C beats B. The Smith set consists of all the candidates. So
Approval choses among them.

Approval scores: