[EM] Rob reply: FBC vs CC. SFC. RV.,

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 18:30:57 PDT 2005

Rob--

I'd said:

>A voter will favorite-bury if, for that voter, the important goal is to
>keep an unacceptable candidate from winning, and if favorite-burial will
>increase the probability of accomplishing that.

I posit that very few voters will be in that predicament.  It is my
experience that most voters prefer candidates with a chance to win.
People that like to be part of quixotic movements are exceedingly rare.

I reply:

Thank you for proving my point. You believe your tv when it tells you that
only the Democrat could beat the Republican, and that to support someone
other than that media- anointed, corporate-bought Democrat is "quixotic".
You feel isolated, believinig that only you and some tiny subset of the
population want something better than Kerry.  After all, doesn't the tv
represent and portray the true America? So of course you obediently vote for
the Democrat, however dishonest he is, and however odious his policies and
record.

There are people with progressive goals, who prefer Nader to the Democrat.
As you point out, most of those people feel compelled to vote for the
Democrat.

I have merely suggested that they'll do the same when the voting system is
BeatpathWinner.

If I haven't made myself clear, FBC is important so that those giveaway
progressives won't feel compelled to keep concealing what they want.

When I referred to acceptable and unacceptable candidates, I clarified that
the lesser-of-2-evils progressives have a very different notion about what
is acceptable, as compared to what I consider acceptable. When you talk to
such a progressive, they make it clear that the Republican is the
unacceptable, and that anyone better than the Republican is acceptable. It
was such voters that I was talking about.

So, as I said, these people, if their only goal is to ensure that an
unacceptable (Republican) won't win, will do what it takes to minimize the
probability of that happening.

And, aside from that,  the number who will favorite-bury for that reason is
further increased when voters who don't understand the count method don't
even know how unlikely it is that they could regret not favorite-burying. I
covered that in my previous message. Then it won't just be people who will
do whatever it takes to minimize the probability of a Republican win. It
will also include people who'd only do that if they felt that the FBC
failure might be likely.

You continued:

Moreover, the cases where sincere voting regret are rare.

I reply:

As I said:

1. That's irrelevant. I'm talking about people whose only goal in the
election is to keep the Republican from winning, to minimize the probability
that the Republican will win, whatever it takes.

2. And someone who doesn't know how the count works might not know how
likely it is that they could regret not favorite-burying.

You continued:

Combine that
with the innate desire that I think people who vote contrarian ballots
have to "make a statement", and I suspect we're talking about a
diminishingly small number of people who will reverse order.

I reply:

What we have to go on is that the practice is near-universal in Plurality
elections, and also common in IRV elections. Yes, the evidence I've prsented
about Australian voting strategy is "anecdotal" because no one has done a
scientific study--I've onlyheard from an increasing number of Australians
who say that favorite-burial isn't uncommon in IRV.
People fear that they'd "waste [their] vote" if they didn't vote one of the
Big-Two party candidates in 1st place, with their favorite ranked somewhere
below. What does it take to convince you? Ok, a scientific study. Maybe
someday someone will conduct one. In the meantime, I've heard from a number
of Australians.

You wrote:

I'm trying to see how this:
"If a Condorcet candidate exists, and if a majority prefers this
candidate to another candidate, then the other candidate should not win
if that majority votes sincerely and no other voter falsifies any
preferences."

.../always/ leads to this:

"SFC requires that the majority of voters who prefer the Condorcet
candidate to another particular candidate vote sincerely (neither
falsify nor truncate their preferences), and it also requires that no
other voter falsifies preferences"

I reply:

First, please note that I don't recognize either of those wordings as mine.
So, if one doesn't lead to the either, and neither was said by me, then what
does that say about SFC? Nothing.

That first SFC definition that you quoted is definitely not my wording. Your
2nd statement of course is not a definition of SFC, and so there would be no
reason to expect it to mean the same as the previous wording that someone
intended as a definition of SFC.

I would probably say that SFC _stipulates_ sincere voting by that majority,
rather than using the word "require". That's because, as I use the term, a
criterion's requirement is something else. SFC's requirement is that B not
win. That that majority vote sincerely is a stipulation that is part of
SFC's premise.

In any case, you needn't expect an intended definition of SFC to mean the
same as a wording of part of SFC's premise, which is only part of SFC.

Anyway, here's SFC:

If no one falsifies a preference, and if a majority prefer the CW to
candidate B, and vote sincerely, then B shouldn't win.

[end of SFC definition]

Please, in the future, when challenging SFC, refer to _my_ wording of its
definition.

You continued:

MDDA would seem to encourage truncation in rare situations.

I reply:

Perhaps, but MDDA also encourages truncation in common situations. With
ordinary MDDA, you should rank only those candidates to whom you want to
give an Approval vote.

And, aside from that, if it's an acceptable/unacceptable situation, even
with Deluxe MDDA, which has a separate Approval cutoff and power truncation,
you should power truncate all the unacceptables.

You continued:

I agree that SFC is a very important criterion, if perhaps misnamed.

I reply:

The name refers to the fact that the criterion is about plausible conditions
under which, with complying methods, voters need no strategy in order to
accomplish the specified goal.

You continued:

I'm sure there were long discussions about naming it during the long
period where I wasn't very active on the list.

I reply:

Some people objected to the name, on the grounds that it's been proven that
no nonprobabilistic method is entirely strategy-free. But that objection
isn't valid, because the criterion is about conditions under which voters
can accomplish a specific goal without strategy.

You continued:

This may be a seemingly minor quibble, but I raise this because I
consider the two SFC quotes above to both be very important criteria,
and I'm trying to figure out how both apply to MDDA.

I reply:

I don't claim that those two quotes apply to MDDA, but I do claim that my
SFC definition applies to MDDA, in the sense that MDDA meets that criterion.

I'd said:

>Realistically, I propose RV, with more rating-levels than Approval.

Range is a political stillborn.  This example kills it:

100 voters, two candidates, scale of 0-10:

90 voters: A=7, B=6
10 voters: A=0, B=10