[EM] thoughts on the pairwise matrix

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Nov 28 20:33:40 PST 2005

You are mixing two topics:

By "wrong" I assume you mean counting something different than what was
voted, accidentally due to carelessness, or deliberately for evil reasons.

Certainly an important topic, but such wrongs are possible regardless of
election method and DO NEED attention.

A second topic is whether voters are PERMITTED to vote their desires
reasonably completely and understandably - here method matters.  A
frequent occurrence is three competitive candidates, A, B, and C, with the
voter seeing A as desirable, B as tolerable, and C as INtolerable:
      Plurality - voter cannot SAY that both A and B are better than C
      Approval - voter cannot SAY that A is better than B AND both are
better than C.
      Condorcet - voter CAN say A>B>C.

So we need BOTH:
      A method that lets voters express their desires AND
      Demand that whatever we vote does get counted.

DWK

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:54:27 -0600 Paul Kislanko wrote:

>>Rob Brown wrote:
>>
>>Isn't the fact that Condorcet methods ignore ballot positions
>>relative to
>>the "whole field of alternatives" the whole beauty of what Condorcet
>>methods do?
>>

> That's my reason to distrust them. What is "beuatiful" about getting my vote
> wrong?

                  If you want peace, work for justice.