[EM] I think Bishop's deconstruction algorithm fails

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sun Nov 27 15:42:09 PST 2005

It depends upon what you mean by "fail". There are many different ballot
configurations that result in the same pairwise-matrix, so there is not
likely to be a unique solution to the Diophantine equations involved in the
decomposition. Whether that is a problem or not is a matter of taste.

Bishop's decomposition algorithm finds ONE set of ballots that results in
the given pairwise-matrix. That there are other possibilities is an obvious
consequence of Arrow's theorem (if it isn't actually part of the proof).

This is my philosophical objection to vote-counting methods that use the
pairwise-matrix as input. You cannot map the pairwise matrix to the voters'
ballots unambiguously, so any such method is by definition "not
transparent".

I believe any valid Condorcet-method should be able to be defined without
reference to the pairwise matrix. Begin with the array of ballots = voters x
alternatives, and work from there. If you don't begin with ballots, then
it's not an election-method.