[EM] Condorcet Matrix Decomposition

Rob Brown rob at karmatics.com
Fri Nov 25 12:43:23 PST 2005

Why do you need to break ties?  Wouldn't it make more sense to consider ties to
be ranked equally?

If you are trying to do it in as few ballots as possible, you might also
consider leaving tied candidates in their previous relative sort position (from
the last time through the loop).

The problem I see is that using borda scores is just rather arbitrary, but
worse, randomly breaking ties is non-deterministic.

In any case this is a fascinating exercise and I could see it being useful.  I
would be very interested to see it applied to a real IRV election....see how
different the results are if you first "compress" it into a pairwise matrix then
reexpand (deconstruct) it into ballots and tabulate it again.

-rob