[EM] A quick, dirty, and somewhat obvious method for a secretproxy ballot

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Wed Nov 16 17:22:30 PST 2005

"Actually, on second thought, maybe "delegable proxy voting" is a bad
term to use.  In political science, we often talk about a distinction
between representatives who serve as delegates versus those who serve as
trustees, where generally trustee representatives are expected to have
more leeway in determining what's best.  Perhaps "voting by trusted
proxy" or "trustee voting" would better describe the idea here."

I think this is the crux of the issue. Those are two different things, yet
the same terminology is used in both cases.

With regard to delegable proxy as an election method, I stated with respect
to the discussion about anonymous votes vs open elections that my vote
should be anonymous without regard as to whether I was voting directly or
selecting a proxy, but that once I voted for a proxy to vote for me I must
have some way to hold that proxy accountable.

Clearly when I vote for a congressional representative (or against the one
who wins) that is one of the models you mention, but it is exactly the EM
model I require. I participate in electing the representative, but all of
her congeressional votes are public record, so I can see whether she really
was a proxy or not.

Yes, there's a big difference beteen the "trustee" paradigm and the "proxy"
paradigm. When it comes to using proxies in public elections representing
voters, it is MANDATORY that the "proxy" cast her vote the way she said she
would when "campaining" for voters to select her as proxy. Hence, anyone
casting more than one vote (i.e., hers and all the proxies she holds) must
make her vote public.