[EM] A quick, dirty, and somewhat obvious method for a secret proxy ballot

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Wed Nov 16 12:57:29 PST 2005

I won't respond to all of the following, but what I have to say was prompted
by the message

... remainder snipped.

It may be we're making this too complicated, but as a somewhat educated
layman with respect to EMs and a very interested voter, I notice these
important points.

1) MY vote as an individual voter MUST be by secret ballot.
I have very recent experience with just the knowledge of which primary I
voted in being used to strike me from the voting rolls for the general
election. There's "coercion" and many more forms of dis-enfranchisement. If
I were to vote for a proxy, I'd want which proxy I voted for kept secret.

2) But the votes BY the proxy MUST be be "public" - at least to the ones who
delegated their vote to them.
The reason? If I delegate X as a proxy, it is because I voted for "X's
proposed ballot configuration". If X's actual ballot is not available for my
review, then if my alternative loses the election I have no way of knowing
if it was because a majority didn't like it, or my proxy was lying when she
said she would vote my preference.