[EM] Public elections are the ones that matter.

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Nov 12 22:38:39 PST 2005

I wonder if this exchange misses the point.

When these other organizations want, essentially, the services public
elections provide - then they properly join in EM.

However, for most of them Robert's Rules has spent much effort doing well
what they need, and EM is not into their view of those topics.

Corporations are off in their own corner - each share of stock owns a
vote, to be voted by its owner.

BTW - Robert's has heard of, and likes, ranked balloting.  It does
describe IRV as an example, but DOES NOT forbid other methods.

DWK

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:09:27 -0500 James Green-Armytage wrote:

> Mike Ossipoff wrote:
> 	"Public elections are the ones that matter"
>
> I reply:
> 	Although governments may be politically omnipotent in theory, in practice
> corporations, schools, unions, religious groups, and nonprofits
> collectively wield an easily comparable amount of power.
>
> my best,
> James Green-Armytage

                  If you want peace, work for justice.