[EM] Example of participation/no-show paradox with Condorcet?

Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Sat Nov 5 01:03:39 PST 2005

Hi. I am attempting to get my head around the participation/no-show paradox
with regard to Condorcet-satisfying methods, and would greatly appreciate
an example of a set of voters and candidates in which there is a (single,
strong (no ties)) Condorcet winner, x, but said winner changes (to another
single, strong Condorcet winner, y) upon the addition of one voter (with said
voter favoring x to y). (Perez's "The Strong No Show Paradoxes are a common
flaw in Condorcet voting correspondences" has what he claims to be a
counterexample to Condorcet and no-show being compatible, but it doesn't
appear to me to actually be such a counterexample.) Note that I am _not_
asking for an example for a Condorcet _extension_ method - only for a pure
Condorcet winner change.

	  Thanks,

	  -Allen

--
Allen Smith			         http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
There is only one sound argument for democracy, and that is the argument