[EM] Re: majority rule, mutinous pirates, and voter strategy

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Tue May 31 00:28:28 PDT 2005

Stephane Rouillon Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 2:41 AM
> I never said that the electorate will was to identify itself
> to some political parties.

I never said you did.  MY comments (in full below) made absolutely no mention of political parties.

I was concerned only to draw the distinction in multi-winner elections between the view that the voting system should
maximise representation of consensus and the view that the voting system should maximise representation of diversity.

> You mix the fact that I use political parties in SPPA to
> simplify ballot treatment in order to get nearer our common
> objective (a representative chamber that is independent of
> party lines) and the fact that other people (not me) consider
> that proportionality is only measured using party distributions.

I made no comment about your SPPA voting system, nor did I have it in mind when I wrote my comments about consensus and
diversity.

My comment was intended to be a completely general one, relating to issues that overtly or covertly run through much of
the discussion about the purposes of elections.  The only voting system I had in mind was STV-PR: it has implementations
that maximise diversity (Dáil Éireann rules) and implementations that maximise consensus (Meek rules).

James