[EM] Re: majority rule, mutinous pirates, and voter strategy

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon May 30 18:40:35 PDT 2005

James,

I never said that the electorate will was to identify itself
to some political parties.

You mix the fact that I use political parties in SPPA to simplify ballot treatment
in order to get nearer our common objective (a representative chamber that is
independent of party lines) and the fact that other people (not me) consider
that proportionality is only measured using party distributions.

Yes I lose something with SPPA (using party affiliation to transfer votes)
compared to STV-PR using only individually expressed transfers.
But I gain more because SPPA results in a proportionailty equivalent
to a single district STV-PR, a level STV-PR cannot reach because ballots
with hundreds of names scares the electorate. This is "the realities of
politics in the real world."

Steph.
PS: Please note that I will never repeat it enough: STV-PR is in my humble
opinion the best multiple-winner electoral system among the ones actually
used in the world. It should not stop us to search for a better one.