[EM] Re: majority rule, mutinous pirates, and voter strategy

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 27 13:55:27 PDT 2005

Hello Stephane,

Yes. Electoral methods should aim at electing the candidate that is
best for the planned period (based on the will of the electors as
expressed in the ballots). Repetitive mutinies are thus something one
need not normally prepare for.

If the community can agree what the "utility function" (that sets the
criteria and determines which candidate is best) is, then the
calculating the election results is quite straight forward (((although
maybe computationally complex))). There is of course one important
thing to take into account when agreeing the utility function (or
electoral method). The electoral method should be sufficiently strategy
resistant (= the reason why often only ranking based methods are
considered, and why also between these there is lots of discussion
about the smaller granularity strategy questions).

BR, Juho