[EM] Criteria reply

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Mon May 23 23:29:02 PDT 2005

Dear Mike Ossipoff,

this is what the EM archives say:

   In your 15 Feb 2000 mail, you discussed the Schulze method.
   In your 18 Feb 2000 mail, the term "Schwartz Sequential Dropping"
   (SSD) was used for the very first time. In that mail, you wrote
   that "SSD is equivalent to Schulze's method". In that mail, you
   also wrote: "The defeats in the Schwartz set are the only ones
   that are really in conflict for choosing a winner. 'Sequential
   Dropping' (SD) could unnecessarily solve a bottom cycle, which
   is why I said that it's less elegant than Schulze."

Therefore, the EM archives clearly state (1) that you knew my method
when you proposed SSD and (2) that you knew that SSD _is_ my method.

The last sentence ("SD could unnecessarily solve a bottom cycle,
which is why I said that it's less elegant than Schulze.") even
suggests that you already knew that heuristic for the Schulze method
that uses Schwartz sets, because that heuristic that uses paths finds
a complete ranking of all candidates and therefore also solves bottom
cycles, while only that heuristic that uses Schwartz sets only finds
a winner and therefore ignores bottom cycles. This interpretation