[EM] Re: Malfunctioning criteria

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sat May 7 10:30:26 PDT 2005

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp-at-hotmail.com |EMlist| wrote:

"Approval would pass CC if CC were defined votes-only, as you
yourself said."

Nonsense. Any reasonable definition of the Condorcet Criterion either
assumes that ranking is allowed or says so explicitly. CC applies to
ordinal methods only. Duh!

Even with that assumption, a preference-style CC is *not* equivalent to
the standard ("votes-only") CC *unless* you stipulate that the actual
votes *are* the voter's true preferences. But if you do that, you might
as well just use the "votes-only" definition of CC.

This is really just common sense, folks, but some people like to make
things more complicated than necessary. If your car is stolen, and the
police ask "What color is your car?," you could say, "The color of my
car is my favorite color, and my favorite color is blue." But if you're
a normal person you'll probably just say, "blue."

--Russ