[EM] percentage support

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon May 2 18:49:02 PDT 2005

James replying to Curt...

>Plurality actually serves two
>purposes.  It is a bad way to select a winner, but it is also a way to
>track percentage support over a period of time, and by determining
>proportional support when it's relevant.

	You don't seem to have defined "support". What does it mean to support a
candidate?

>Democratic primaries are an example.  The proportion of votes a
>candidate receives determines how many delegates they receive.  But
>even if that particular decision structure is done away with, there are
>plenty of other reasons to track proportional support - polling, for
>instance.

	"Polling", as a reason, seems rather broad. Can you be more specific?

>And this is something that Condorcet methods cannot do.  You cannot
>derive, from a Condorcet ballot collection, how much percentage support
>each candidate got.  You can't give each candidate a share of 100% in a
>way that all candidates would agree on.  If you can, I'd love to know
>how.

	Well, the most obvious way to me is to find the share of first choice
votes for each candidate. I'm still not quite sure what we would use this
for, though.

>Is this an already identified criteria?  The ability to determine
>percentage support?  The Siffert Criteria?  :-)  If so, Condorcet fails
>it; at least, I haven't seen a technique that would allow it to pass
>it.

	I don't think that you have defined the criterion very precisely.

>What voting methods can convincingly a) identify the total
>available support (in terms of that vote method) for all candidates,
>and b) determine what percentage of that support each candidate
>received ?

	I don't understand what you mean by (a).

my best,
James