[EM] percentage support - residual approval weights

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon May 2 18:08:42 PDT 2005

I addressed this aspect some time ago on the (defunct)
electoral_systems_designers
yahoo list.  Some explanations are still alive in the EM archives.

Assuming, ranked ballot with an approval cut-off, like no ordering of
unacceptable candidates,
residual approval weights allow any ranking output result to be interpreted
as a percentage of the whole electorate.  This is obviously not a stable
relation
(one simple vote change can have dramatic consequence on the percentages
distribution) but the result is an injection from each voter toward a unique
representative. I hope it is what you want.

Recipe:
-------
Condorcet methods produce an order as output.
Reverse that output, eliminating the last candidate each time, just as in a
IRV election.
Every time the eliminated candidate was the last acceptable candidate of a
voter,
the residual approval vote of this voter goes to the eliminated candidate.
At the end every voter will have voted for only one candidate, the one most
voters
wanted among its acceptable ones.

Pleased to be of any help,
Stephane Rouillon, ing.
PS: I think Forest built another alternative too.