[EM] Markus, 19 May, '05, 0114

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed May 18 18:12:05 PDT 2005

Markus--

You say:

Well, although you have been pointed to this error dozens of
times in the last 5 years and although you have admitted this
error several times, you keep on using this error as an argument.

I reply:

I have no idea what you mean by that. I've admitted that error several times
during the past day or two. I don't know what it means to say that I use it
as an "argument", but yes I use it as an explanation for the quotes that you
repeatedly link to, from about 5 years ago.

You continue:

Russ Paielli immediately stopped claiming
that he had invented RAV. Russ Paielli didn't say something like:
"I hadn't read Kevin's proposal when I proposed RAV. Therefore,
I can rightly claim that I invented RAV."

I reply:

After you posted that you'd introduced CSSD to EM, I stopped calling CSSD my
own suggestion. I'd come up with CSSD during the Debian discussion, when
Norm criticized SSD for its lack of clone independence in small committees.
I posted CSSD to EM, believing that it was my proposal. You pointed out that
you'd previously posted it, and I stopped calling CSSD my own proposal.

My version of CSSD stopped when there are no cycles in the Schwartz set.
Yours stopped when there are no defeats in the Schwartz set. Same thing, but
"no defeats" seemed neater than "no cycles", and so at that time I changed
my CSSD stopping rule to "no defeats in the Schwartz set".

But you never posted SSD to EM. Yes, I devised CSSD. But you devised it
before I did, and when I found that out, I no longer claimed credit for
CSSD. But you didn't post SSD. CSSD is not SSD.

You continue:

On the other side, you keep on using your claim, that you hadn't
completely understood the Schulze method when you proposed SSD,
as an argument to claim that you "devised" SSD.

I reply:

Not only did I devise SSD, but I devised CSSD. But you had devised CSSD
before I did. When I found that out, I acknowledged it and no longer claimed
credit for CSSD.

Yes, Steve and I had never heard of CSSD at the time that we devised SSD, so
we didn't devise SSD as a variation of CSSD, but rather "from scratch". In
any case, CSSD is not SSD. SSD is more publicly proposable.

You continue:

By the way: Already in 2001, Norman Petry complained that you try to