[EM] DMC/RAV vs. Approval

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Sun May 1 22:39:26 PDT 2005

Folks,

I'd like to attempt an informal poll. How many of you out there consider
DMC/RAV technically superior to Approval Voting, how many consider it
inferior, and how many consider it to be of roughly (or exactly) equal
value. If you care to explain, why do you think that? Let's leave
complexity and public acceptability aside for now.

Most of you probably know what DMC/RAV is, but let me sum it up for
those who don't. It stands for Definite Majority Choice, and the
alternative name is Ranked Approval Voting. The voters rank the
candidates and specify an Approval cutoff. Equal rankings are allowed.
The CW wins of one exists, otherwise the least-approved candidate is
dropped until a CW is obtained. Thanks.

--Russ