[EM] Sincere methods

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 15:53:11 PST 2005

> Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:01:02 +0200
> From: Juho Laatu
> Subject: Re: [EM] Sincere methods

> On Mar 24, 2005, at 03:00, Gervase Lam wrote:

> > If you want something a bit more strategic resistant, Reynaud(Margins)
> > might be a good step up.

> Should I thus read your comment so that you see MinMax (margins) as a
> sincere method (the best one, or just one good sincere method) whose
> weaknesses with strategic voting can best be patched by using Raynaud
> (Margins)?

Roughly speaking yes, but not exactly.  If you think Margins is an
important way to measure closeness to being a Condorcet Winner, then
Raynaud(Margins) might be the next best thing.  I cannot think of any
other reasonable Margins method.

Of course, if you are willing to move away from Margins, there are other
more simple pairwise methods around that are reasonably 'strategic
resistant'.

Thanks,
Gervase.