[EM] Re: Democratic Fair Choice

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Mar 28 18:42:13 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Jobst Heitzig wrote:

> Dear Folks!
>
> Under the working title "Democratic Fair Choice", I described on our
> Wiki a detailed voting procedure composed from ideas by Forest (most)
> and me (some):
> http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Imagine_Democratic_Fair_Choice
> I tried to make it more interesting by writing it as a fictitious
> television show reporting on an actual election -- hope you have some
> fun reading it.
>
> In short, this is what I suggest:
> 0. Each candidate simultaneously publishes a ranking of all candidates.
> 1. Each voter marks one candidate as "directly supported" and
> arbitrarily many additional ones as "approved".
> 2. This is transformed automatically into an individual ranking by
> placing the approved over the unapproved ones and completing the ranking
> by means of the directly supported candidate's published ranking.

This step is the stroke of genius that I never would have thought of.  It
gives the voter more control than mere candidate proxy.

> 3. After booths have closed, direct support, approval, and pairwise
> comparisons are counted.
> 4. A numbered list of voters grouped by directly supported candidates in
> order of decreasing direct support is constructed like this:
>   0000001-0821461: supporters of C
>   0821462-1318964: supporters of F
> Then each candidate submits in a sealed envelope a number between 1 and
> the number of voters. The envelopes are opened in public, and the
> numbers are added modulo the number of voters, giving the number of the
> "proposing voter".
> 5. The published ranking of the proposing voter's directly supported
> candidate becomes the "proposing order".
> 6. Only now the approval values and the matrix of pairwise defeats are
> published, and the winner is the topmost candidate in the proposing
> order who pairwise defeats all more approved candidates.
>
> Essentially, this is "Random Ballot from Forest's set P", but without
> the need to specify individual rankings, and with no "real"
> randomization but instead with a sophisticated pseudo-random procedure
> which is under complete deterministic control by the candidates...
>
> I'm quite curious about your thoughts!

Great!  It's much better than Majority Choice Approval at no extra
cost.

And remember that with any more complicated ballot, most voters will just
copy candidate cards, anyway.

Forest