[EM] median rating / lower quartile

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Mar 28 11:42:38 PST 2005

I would just like to point out that median rating is to range voting as
Bucklin is to Borda.

This was noted back in the days when we first considered Majority Choice
Approval (Bucklin based on CR ballots of resolution 3), and were exploring
to see if there might be any fruitful generalization to higher resolution
CR ballots.

Since "Social Utility" is not a method, but is one probe for gauging a
method, why not publish both Mean SU, and Median SU, as well as standard
deviations and interquartile distances for the performance of various
methods in simulations?

Forest