[EM]CNTT,QLTD ? (enquiry from John Hodges)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 28 06:05:09 PST 2005

Chris,

--- Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Participants,
> I've had a request from John Hodges, who used to
> subscribe and contribute to EM.
>
> > could you ask the EM folk for an evaluation of the
> properties of CNTT,QLTD?

In short, it satisfies Condorcet and Smith but fails everything that
Bucklin fails. Since you're not eliminating non-Smith members, it doesn't
satisfy "Local IIA."

> in terms of criterion compliances,but John thinks that
> CNTT,QLTD might have compensating practical
> advantages.

I don't think so; you'd have to keep track of the Bucklin matrix in
addition to the pairwise one.

And if you eliminated non-Smith members, you'd have to reconsider each
ballot.

It also seems to me that Bucklin is easier to explain than QLTD, while
satisfying the same criteria.

Kevin Venzke