[EM] median rating / lower quartile

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Fri Mar 25 16:57:49 PST 2005

>So I suggest to measure social utility by the LOWER QUARTILE of the
>individual utilities (= that utility value where one quarter of the
>voters is below and three quarters of the voters are above).
>
>Perhaps this will even make CR a somewhat more strategy-resistant method
>since we use a much more robust measure of social utility.

Given sincere votes, this may be interesting, but if votes are not
necessarily sincere, it would be quite possible for all candidates to
receive a social utility of 0. That is, the lower quartile feature makes
the method into a kind of 3/4 supermajority method.

However, scoring candidates by the median rather than the mean might be an
improvement on standard cardinal ratings. Has this been discussed before?

my best,
James