[EM] Sincere methods

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 14:01:02 PST 2005

Hello Gervase,

On Mar 24, 2005, at 03:00, Gervase Lam wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:15:52 +0200
>> From: Juho Laatu
>> Subject: [EM] Sincere methods
>
>> I already gave some support to seeing MinMax (margins) ("least
>> additional votes") as one potential "sincere method" (criticism
>> received too).
>
> If you want something a bit more strategic resistant, Reynaud(Margins)
> might be a good step up.

I haven't unfortunately studied the characteristics of this method well
enough to comment if it is the best. (I'll try to do my homework better
and study all the proposed methods a bit more than I have been able to
do so far.)

Comment on the use of terms "strategic" and "sincere":
A method that has been made "strategy resistant" is by definition
different from the corresponding "sincere method" (=method that elects
the best candidate based on our selected criteria when all the votes
are sincere, i.e. without the need to care about strategic votes).
Should I thus read your comment so that you see MinMax (margins) as a
sincere method (the best one, or just one good sincere method) whose
weaknesses with strategic voting can best be patched by using Raynaud
(Margins)?

Best Regards,
Juho