[EM] Re: Sincere methods

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 23 07:55:54 PST 2005

> From: Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk>
>
> Hello All,
>
> In an earlier mail I brought up the question what would be the best
> Condorcet completion method in the case that we would have the luxury
> of sincere votes. I would appreciate your comments on this.
> Any opinions?

I would think that if votes are sincere, the best voting method would not be
Condorcet at all. It would be for each voter to assign a number of points to
each candidate representing the utility they ascribe to that candidate. The
candidate with the largest total utility would win. This method has obvious
advantages over Condorcet: it is simpler and takes advantage of more
information from the voters. Of course, it is trivially vulnerable to insincere
voters.

-- Andrew
-