[EM] Re: ruminations on ordinal and cardinal information

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:09:20 PST 2005

On 21 Mar 2005 at 18:46 PST, Russ Paielli wrote:
> My first comment is that this proposal is significantly more complicated
> than my (or Kevin's) "Ranked Approval Voting" (RAV) proposal, which
> simply drops the least approved candidate until a CW is found.

Russ, could you please clarify this?

I was under the impression that RAV was the following:

  Do While # of candidates > 1
    # Iterate to find the Smith set:
    While there is a candidate with no wins,
       eliminate the candidate
    End While

    # eliminate least approved candidates until a CW is found
    If number candidates is > 1, delete least-approved candidate
  End Do

In other words, you reduce to the Smith Set, then eliminate the
least-approved candidate.

If you simply eliminate the least approved candidate without first
iterating to the Smith Set, you might delete a Condorcet Winner.

Could you or Kevin fill in the appropriate Electowiki page with your
sense of what RAV is supposed to be?

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ranked_Approval_Voting&action=edit

Ted
--