[EM] publicly acceptability of election methods

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 21 23:23:18 PST 2005

Russ,

--- Russ Paielli <6049awj02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> First, did I really write "publicly acceptability" in the title?

Yes. I just copied your mistake.

> > Suppose there are no majority-strength cycles. Those are supposed to be
> > rare, right? So say there are none.
> >
> > Then CDTT,FPP can be defined as "elect the FPP winner, except that when more
> > than half of the voters rank X>Y, then Y can't win." Or perhaps better, "Elect
> > the candidate with the most first preferences over whom no majority ranks
> > any other candidate."
>
> My apologies, but I don't recall what CDTT stands for or how it works in
> general. Would you mind reminding me or pointing me to an earlier
> explanation (or just give me the date of your introductory post on it)?

I think my most recent message on 4-candidate CDTT LNHarm failures is probably
the best intro. My initial message was a failed attempt to improve on the CDTT.

In the general case, a candidate is in the CDTT if they have a majority-strength
beatpath to any candidate having a majority-strength beatpath back. My
suggestion is to combine this with a method satisfying LNHarm in order to
come as close as possible to satisfying LNHarm.

CDTT stands for "Condorcet doubly-augmented top tier." I'm under the impression
that Woodall gave it that name. It's not very catchy. I think of it as the
"undominated top tier," but that name may be taken.

> By the way, please don't feel slighted in any way. After all, you
> apparently first proposed the RAV (Ranked Approval Voting) method I am
> advocating (except for my simplification of disallowing ranking of the
> unapproved candidates). Would you consider supporting it if we call it
> "Venzke Voting"? 8^)

No, let's save my name for a method I still (or am yet to) really like.

I really can't believe I was the first person to suggest the RAV method.
I bet a thorough search of the archives would turn up someone earlier.

Kevin Venzke