[EM] ruminations on ordinal and cardinal information

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sat Mar 19 21:57:14 PST 2005

Hi Russ,

	I suggest that the cardinal pairwise method provides a logical conclusion
to some of your ruminations.
fc.antioch.edu/~jarmyta at antioch-college.edu/cwp13.pdf
or http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/cwp13.htm
	This method uses a continuous scale (e.g. 0-100) rather than a binary 0/1
rating, and I am willing to argue that this extra flexibility is
worthwhile when practical. However, there is an alternate version of the
proposal, which I call approval-weighted pairwise, that uses an approval
cutoff rather than a continuous scale.
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-June/013241.html
	The general principle of cardinal pairwise and approval-weighted pairwise
is that the ordinal information is used to determine the direction of
pairwise defeats, whereas the cardinal information is used to determine
the strength of the pairwise defeats. The goal is that the weakest defeat
in a majority rule cycle should be the one that has the lowest overall
combination of these two factors: (1) the number of voters in agreement
with the defeat, and (2) the relative priority of the defeat to those
voters who agree with it. My contention is that these methods are more
adept at solving both sincere and strategic cycles.

my best,
James
http://fc.antioch.edu/~james_green-armytage/voting.htm