[EM] San Francisco IRV Counting rules & possible bad ballots

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Wed Mar 16 22:27:46 PST 2005

Eric Gorr wrote:

> I found the reason why my counts were different from the official tally
> for District 9, but this leads to more confusion on how the ballots were
> counted...is anyone more familiar with the IRV counting rules used in SF
> then myself?

It would be interesting to know how many ballots were exhausted because
the voter voluntarily ranked only one or two candidates, versus the
number exhausted because all three permitted choices were eliminated.

Put another way, how many three-ranked ballots did not contain a vote
for either the winner or the runner-up?

Bart