[EM] About random election methods

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Tue Mar 15 11:14:58 PST 2005

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:03:25 -0800
From: Russ Paielli <6049awj02 at sneakemail.com>
Subject: Re: [EM] About random election methods

Russ wrote to Andrew:

Andrew,

I think voters will reject any method that isn't deterministic. Barring
actual numerical ties, why should the selection of the winner depend in
any way on some random event? Yes, randomness may help thwart strategy,
but so what? Of course strategy is useless if we toss dice to determine
the winner. That's just my opinion, of course.

Regards,
Russ

Forest replies:

I think that you are right that the general public will reject randomness
not needed for tie breaking.

But what constitutes a tie?

Suppose that (pairwise) candidate A beats B who beats C who beats A, and
that Condorcet gives the win to A because the weakest defeat (by some
measure) is the C beats A defeat.

Then C can say, "Sure my victory over A wasn't as strong as A's victory
over B, but my victory was over a strong candidate (the putative winner)
whereas A's victory was only over a loser."

Who is the real winner in rock, paper, scissors?

Right or wrong, many people consider majority beat cycles as "Condorcet
ties."

Personally, I believe that approval information can resolve these "ties"
most of the time.

But there are cases where there is still enough ambiguity to consider the
result a "tie" even when there is a CW.

Consider (sincere utilities in parenthesis):

55 A(100), B(99), C(0)
45 B(100), C(50), A(0)

Candidate A wins in any Condorcet election.  But in a zero information
approval election B wins, and the A supporters will not have much to
complain about.

Examples like these lead me to believe that when the Approval Winner is
not the Condorcet Winner, both should have a claim to some of the
probability.

The approval winner can say, "My win was based on stronger, higher
priority preferences."

The Condorcet winner can say, "But my win was based on more complete
information."

The AW replies, "But that information was probably contaminated by
insincere order reversals."

And so there is an impasse, a sort of tie.

Random ballot to pick between the CW and the AW is a far cry from the
random candidate image conjured up by "tossing dice to determine the
winner."

You said, "Randomness may help thwart strategy, but so what?"

If strategy is not thwarted, then the result of the deterministic method
is garbage, no matter how nice it might work in a zero info environment.

Ironically, in many cases a good random method has a much greater
probability of electing the sincere CW than any deterministic Condorcet
efficient method.

Forest